Where should your call to action be on your website?
Another Monday Morning Website Tip by
Most businesses almost hide what they want people to do on their site.
If you knew someone was on your site for 1 minute and 38 seconds would you have your site designed differently? (By the way, that is the averages I typically see when diving into google analytics).
There is an art to making a quality design paired up with a call to action. Too cheesy and you might look cheap, too discreet and they’ll miss it. The key is making sure your call to action is at least visible on the top fold of your website on a desktop or a phone. You could also have an item of value be your secondary call to action of the top fold as well.
Now that you know where it should be let’s focus on the what it should be.
If you are a restaurant it could be offering discounts to people when they sign up for your list. If you are posting regular content via a podcast, blog, or video series you should let people sign up to get updated once those are live (more on that in this post). You could offer a review of their current plan or of their current product that you are selling.
The key to the what it is actually isn’t as tough if you put yourself in your prospects shoes. Think, if I was on this site as a visitor and they offered me X, would I want it? Or does it feel like a bait and switch? Or is it so good of an offer that you can’t refuse it? Or has this person given you so much value that it’s a no brainer for you to sign up?
The toughest call to action is obviously the come in for an appointment CTA, especially if you haven’t built that trust yet and knowing someone is only on your site for such a limited amount of time you must keep that in mind!
If you remember anything from this, remember that your site isn’t a dinosaur or at least it shouldn’t be.
Test your call to action, if it doesn’t work, change it up. And never run ads to a site that isn’t working – doing that will just amplify the results you already have… Just because you think a way will work doesn’t mean it will. Be agile and mix it up!
P.S. We do website reviews absolutely free if you are looking for a redesign or refresher. Check out our no-strings attached offer here 🙂
About Marcus Rangel
I've been working with small businesses owners to craft not only beautiful custom websites, but clear, clever and concise messages to reach their prospects since 2005.
I officially hung up my "corporate cleats" to be an entrepreneur and small business owner in the summer of 2020. IMC, which started as a side hustle early in the mornings before the sun was even up in 2017, is what led me down this path as a business owner myself. I focus on helping other business owners continually stay in front of people & prospects with digital marketing, create websites that get leads with great engagement, and produce video content that are meant for the digital era we're in.
When I'm not creating, you can find me hanging out with my incredible family on our front lawn or on my OneWheel around the big city of Topeka, KS.
Does your website need help?Shoot me an email: email@example.com
The first thing you have to ask yourself is why would someone come back to your website right? It seems like 95% of websites are “static” and aren’t frequently updated. The other 5% are making updates and give you a reason to come back, let’s look at why. #1 – There is a blog The tricky thing about this though is that you shouldn’t just call this section on your site “blog,” it should be…Read More
The KC Royals had just one the World Series… finally. They have hours, days in fact of footage to get you hyped about the next season and have everyone ready to buy next years season tickets. As a creative team, we had decided to buy season tickets as giveaways to our team and the credit card was in my hands. I guess I was expecting something magical when I clicked the “buy now” button to…Read More
Let’s face it, people are on your site to see you and what your business offers. Photos are essential for a quality website, but here are some examples of what you should be using. A great quality headshot Like my friend Rick above from Sardis Events, this is a great example of a photo you should use. Notice I didn’t say glamour shot, but a high quality headshot to show who you are and often…Read More
Looking for website tips to help your business?
Sign up for Monday Morning Website Tips - it's fresh, weekly ideas straight to your inbox.