WordPress Web Designer – 6 Things to look for
Another Monday Morning Website Tip by Marcus Rangel
WordPress has become an incredible tool to build websites for small businesses and will continue to only get better.
There are several things to look for when you are on the hunt to hire a wordpress web designer. Here’s my top 6.
- I tell everyone to look at a designers portfolio first. The proof is in the work and they should be proud of the work they’ve done in WordPress. That’s why this is so important and step 1 before you even ask for a quote.
- Have a video chat with the designer. Nothing is better than talking through your project with a designer and zoom, teams, or google video chats make great avenues to do this with.
- Are you looking for a custom or turnkey solutions? This comes down to if you are needing a custom website or a purchased theme. Yes, you can find hundreds, probably thousands of themes, but choosing a theme instead of a custom built wordpress site will limit the customizations you can do.
- Is the designer going to work on your content? Content is king for a reason, and if your website designer is just designing and not providing you content for your website, this can cause you a headache in trying to figure out the right messaging.
- How can you preview your wordpress site before it goes live? Good wordpress website builders will send you a mockup of your website before it ever even is plugged into wordpress.
- How long will the designer take to build your site? Websites take time to build, but they shouldn’t take forever. Make sure you discuss when you need your wordpress website done so you are on the same page with your designer.
If you are looking for a wordpress web designer near you, I’d be happy to chat through your project. We live in the midwest but have clients nationwide in the USA! And if you are looking to view examples of websites out there, there’s plenty of galleries to look at. My latest recommendation is Design Rush, they feature some of the best website design out there.
About Marcus Rangel
I've been working with small businesses owners to craft not only beautiful custom websites, but clear, clever and concise messages to reach their prospects since 2005.
I officially hung up my "corporate cleats" to be an entrepreneur and small business owner in the summer of 2020. IMC, which started as a side hustle early in the mornings before the sun was even up in 2017, is what led me down this path as a business owner myself. I focus on helping other business owners continually stay in front of people & prospects with digital marketing, create websites that get leads with great engagement, and produce video content that are meant for the digital era we're in.
When I'm not creating, you can find me hanging out with my incredible family on our front lawn or on my OneWheel around the big city of Owasso, OK.
Does your website need help?
Like any business, you have a list of customers and prospects, the biggest question about that email list is how often should you email them without being annoying? Or better worse, someone hitting the unsubscribe button and you feeling like they just said in Travis Kelce fashion, “know your role and shut your mouth!” I recently could tell that a national bank that we have a savings account with got a new email marketing plan because I am getting emails non-stop lately from them. To make it worse, they are pitching me on getting student loans with them (almost every other day) – which also means they don’t have their audience fine tuned either if you know me and the last year I attended college…Read More
Having the opportunity to capture the Prairie Burn with my drone had to be one of the coolest projects I’ve ever had the chance to work on. Honestly I’m pretty humbled that this video I made for NextGen Cattle won this award recently. I couldn’t have done this without the incredible cowboy poetry from Clint Raulerson, or working with a team like NextGen that always just lets me run creatively with whatever I think will look amazing to highlight their brand. Thank you as well to Rachel Lock who captured some in action pics of me during the burn! There’s two links to check out about this, the first is the video if you haven’t seen it: The second is the article that just dropped: click…Read More
Landing page examples and why they work. Have you ever thought about the traffic flow of a visitor comes your website from an online, print, or media ad? Now imagine you are the visitor going to your website from an ad – what’s the action you would want yourself to take when you land on your website? What if you could dial in a specific call to action for that ad? That’s where a landing page can come in for your marketing. I’m not saying replace your website with a landing page, but think about using a landing page to direct your “paid” traffic to in addition to having a website. Here’s my top 5 reasons why landing pages work so well Here’s three landing…Read More